Monday, July 30, 2007

Thoughts on Creigh Deeds' Live Blog at DWJ...

The potential candidate for AG/Governor in 2009 answered reader questions at DWJ last week...my personal thoughts on his answers are a bit mixed. Some answers I liked, some I didn't.

- In response to my question about what would make him a candidate that is appealing to Republicans/conservatives/right-leaning moderates...he responded that it's the same thing that makes him appealing to the left...that he "gets things done". That's all well and good, and certainly admirable given the lack of "things getting done" by our government at times. However, I felt his answer was a bit of a "canned" answer. I was hoping that he would elaborate a bit on his personal stances, and how they would appeal to someone with a right-slanting P.O.V.

- His reference that the media does not focus enough on the bipartisan efforts of government to improve the lives of it's citizens was pretty much right on target, though.

- I felt Brian Kirwin's question about Deed's speech at Blogs United was a bit much, all things considered...Deeds' reply was good, and made his point very clear.

- The joke that, if he were a Republican, he would have a pet elephant named "Ron" (since he's a Democrat with a pet donkey named Harry S. Truman) was funny.

- Deeds seems to have no problems pinning the bipartisan disaster that these abuser fees have turned into on the Republicans. His statement of incorporating out-of-state drivers into these sources of revenue for transportation funding is a bit ironic...considering it was Tim Kaine that struck it out of the abuser fee legislation.

- He almost too matter-of-factly answered Jay Hughes' question about doing 82 in a 65, but it was the right answer to that question.

Overall, I don't think Deeds is a bad guy at all. He does hold pretty well to the party line, but he is a pretty efficient politician when it comes to pushing his agendas. I respect his direct answers to most of the questions (he was probably the least direct, in my opinion, when it came to my question). Would I vote for him for Governor? Probably not, as his political beliefs are just too different from mine...however, I do think that his directness and efficiency do make him a power player in the 2009 elections, and if he ran for a position like Attorney General, I don't think I would have a problem with electing him to that position (so long as Mark Obenshain isn't running).

Just my opinion.

No comments: