Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Farewell to "The Crippler"

This post isn't about politics.

Those who know me know my love for professional wrestling. I've stepped into the ring a few times, I know the moves, the bumps, the basic tricks of the trade. I studied the in-ring greats. Watched matches over and over again. I get a certain amount of entertainment from pro wrestling than you can't get anywhere else. Personally, I believe it's the suspension of disbelief that allows me to depart from reality for a few hours while watching these athletes put on a performance that, despite the scripted endings and the "saw it coming" moments, still manages to keep me watching.

However, sometimes you attempt to depart from reality, and reality seeks you out anyway. That's what happened to me last night.

I turned on "Monday Night RAW", as usual, and I find out that the scheduled show was cancelled. Former World Heavyweight Champion Chris Benoit had been found dead on Monday.

Benoit, whether "babyface" or "heel" in character, was always a spectacle to watch. He didn't do the death-defying stunts. He wasn't the 7-foot powerhouse. He was a hard-nosed, technically-sound, blue collar wrestler. He did all of the little things, and the big things, to pull you into a match and never leave your seat. He made some of the worst performers in wrestling look like gold. He had the nickname of "The Crippler", due to his vast knowledge of painful submission manuvers and the intensity behind the execution of his various moves.

More than that, Benoit was a man who commanded respect through his work ethic, humble demeanor, and dedication to this job. Well-liked by almost all in the wrestling business, as well as the fans in arenas all over the world.

Benoit was found dead yesterday, along with his son Daniel (age 7) and his wife Nancy. The cause of death is apparently known, but has not been released. It is believed that, due to the strange and curious nature of several of Benoit's last text messages, that this may have been a double murder-suicide. Should this be proven true, I'm even more saddened to hear that something had been haunting Benoit to such a point.

R.I.P. Chris Benoit, the fans will never forget you.

1 comment:

James Young said...

I don't watch wrestling. Haven't since the days when Vince McMahon was just a young announcer. But it is indeed ironic that a show which was to be devoted to the phony murder of "Mr. McMahon" turned out to have to deal with this very real tragedy.