Thursday, April 26, 2007

Dems Not Checking the Polls

I was over at Real Clear Politics, and I saw the most interesting statistic today.

George W. Bush's average approval rating in the most recent polls is 36.4%.

However, the Democrat-controlled Congress has an average approval rating of 36.8%.

A whopping .4% better.

Bush's disapproval rating is currently averaging 59.2%, the Donkey Congress is averaging 53.8%.

The point I'm trying to make is that Bush's poll numbers aren't necessarily just a reflection of America's level of satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) with his policies. When you look at his poll numbers in comparison to the Democratic Congress (and their comparably miserable numbers), I believe that it is more of a reflection of the disgust the American public has with our politicians in general.

The Republicans failed to capitalize on their majority in 2/3rds of the Federal Government (I'm working on an in-depth look at that), and the public decided in November of '06 to bring in the Democrats...and it appears that the Democratic sweep of both the House and Senate is not a reflection of a pro-liberal movement. It seems like it was more-or-less a statement of "we don't really have any other choice." The public didn't like the Republicans that were in office, and the only alternative was to elect Democrats.

The choice by the public was somewhat understandable, even to a conservative such as myself. The Republican Party, in my opinion, needed the shakedown that comes with a loss of power. As I said, I'm going to take a look at that in more detail in the coming weeks.

However, I just find it funny when anti-Bush liberals parrot his low approval ratings as some sort of victory for their cause...when the Donkey-run Congress can't do any better in the polls. This does not bode well for the Dems as we start trucking towards the 2008 election season.

No comments: