Friday, June 22, 2007

Transportation Without Taxation...For a Fee

I've been discussing the new fees for serious traffic violations with a few people I know. Not surprisingly, it isn't a popular move amongst most people I talk to. Most people believe, though I haven't heard it acknowledged by politicians, that this is the General Assembly's attempt to fund transportation upgrades throughout the state without a tax increase. I still say that reducing the state budget would also help to fund this project, but let me tell you what's involved with these new fees.

These "civil remedial fees" will be on top of any court costs, insurance increases, license renewal, and other penalties that have to be paid. So, after paying the courts, the DMV, and your auto insurance agency...you now owe the state. For instance, a conviction for reckless driving will net you a $1,050.00 fee.

That is a bit steep, in my opinion. However, the "payment plan" that they have instituted is at least a fair step towards assisting those convicted of these traffic violations. That reckless driving fee, instead of a lump-sum payment, can now be paid in three (3) $350.00 payments.

While I do think that harsher penalties for serious traffic violations is a fine idea and a great deterrent (hit 'em where it hurts...the wallet), I do believe that some of the first-time violation fees are a bit steep and excessive. Maybe $500-600 for a first-time offense for reckless driving, for instance. Once you get to repeat offenses, then the fines should go up to the levels they have outlined in the bill that was passed.

It's already law...and I do believe the goal of the law to be a good one. So be careful, all ye with lead foots, because starting July 1st...your spare cash may become property of the state.

No comments: