Monday, October 29, 2007

Embarrassing

Yesterday was a milestone for me. A first in my life.

It was the first time in my life I have ever voluntarily stopped watching a Redskins game.

Their performance was so uninspired, sloppy, and miserable that I could not stand to watch the game anymore. Once the score reached 38-0, I left to take a shower. I couldn't hold my head up to see the screen anymore. I don't care how good the Patriots are, we were not supposed to be that bad.

I was born into the Redskins (and Joe Gibbs) tradition of winning, and doing so with honor, dignity, and pride. Since Gibbs retired in 1993, I've suffered through many sub-par and miserable seasons under the tutelige of Richie Petitbon, Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, and Steve Spurrier.

Norv got us back to respectability for a short while. Just barely missing the playoffs in 1997 due to a late-season collapse and another near-miss in 1998 due to Michael Westbrook's inability to keep his cool (or his helmet on) while on the field, and Gus Frerotte's inability to not headbutt a wall and jam his neck.

Since 1993...the Redskins have made 2 playoff appearances, won 1 division title, and have otherwise created a sense of crushed hope amongst it's fans.

The team is still 4-3, and they're not out of it yet, and they can still make a run at the playoffs in the NFC. However, the effort put forth yesterday did something that the numerous 3, 4, and 5 win seasons of the past 15 years never did...

...yesterday, I was embarrassed to be a Redskins fan.

UPDATE - looks like Del. Kris Amundsen feels as bad as I do.

No comments: