Friday, October 26, 2007

Why I Never Endorsed A Candidate in the 34th State Senate Race...

Simply put, I don't agree with many of Chap Petersen's viewpoints (no matter how nicely he articulates them or how honest he appears to be). I don't like some of his double-speak, either. However, Jeannemarie Devolites-Davis once managed to reach the cusp of an endorsement from me. However, her frequent public stumbles (yelling at a high school student who apparently asked her to state her opinion on abortion in a "meet the candidates" forum for high school kids, for instance) and generally poor ability to control herself have kept me from making an endorsement of any kind in what has turned out to be Virginia's hottest race.

Allow me to quote my response to Ben's "Holy S**t" post that states that JMDD somehow stated that Peterson's family were "in play" (however, we haven't actually seen this quote, I shall remind you).

"Hooray for Ben, he finally got his big "macaca" moment for this election.

Personally, I'm glad I'm not in this district. I don't like either candidate. Chap has carefully cultivated this image of himself...but once you see certain things (like the point made in the mailer about Chap being a former lobbyist who suddenly starts to rail against lobbyists). Things like that don't fly well with me, personally. I also don't really agree with many of his viewpoints.

That being said...well, then you have JMDD.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe that this was probably a huge botch by JMDD's campaign. People were asleep at the wheel. However, JMDD's subsequent handling of the situation is reminiscent of how Allen handled "macaca", which is by following up a huge mistake with the dumbest, most self-destructive statements possible.

All JMDD had to say was "this was a mistake, somebody in my staff wasn't doing their job, and I've fired them" would've been a much more congenial response. Then, whoever on her staff put this out there gets a decent severance package and gets sent on their way.

Even if she wanted this to be intentional (which I doubt...no politician in their right mind would full-on support this kind of action), she could've covered this up easily.

Actually, if this had been intentional, I think the cover-up would've been a lot better than this recent series of botches.

Nonetheless, you have the candidate who I can't vote for (Chap) and the candidate I won't vote for (JMDD) in this district."

That about sums it up, really. For me, Chap is the ideologically unelectable candidate, and Davis is the personally unelectable candidate.

No comments: