Thursday, July 5, 2007

4th of July Parade in New Market

I spent my 4th of July with my relatives at my parents' house in New Market. The parade was a bit of a disappointment compared to the parades my father used to organize (but then again, I am biased).

It was nice to see all of the politicians/candidates I support in our area (namely Sen. Obenshain and Del. Gilbert) actually in the parade, especially since New Market isn't the biggest dot on the map, and they could've been in parades with a much larger attendance of constituents.

Best part of the parade was watching my 21-month old son yell, wave, and get all excited when fire trucks and other large vehicles passed by and blew their sirens and horns. Sometimes, I swore he was simply trying to be louder than the trucks :)

All-in-all, though, it was a fine day with lots of fine food, laughter, and good times. My uncle and I attempted to fix my father's golf swing, and the rain managed to avoid us. I topped a great 4th of July off sitting on my front stoop, watching the fireworks back home in Strasburg with my wife and a cold one. I don't think I could've asked for a better day. It's days like yesterday that I do reflect with pride upon being a citizen of this nation.

2 comments:

CraigOrn said...

Actually, I'm pretty certain that New Market is the only parade in the 15th District. But Mark certainly had quite a day--but he always does. I remember back when he ran the first time we had just finished the New Market parade when a torrential downpour struck. We all had to hop in the back of the truck and got soaked, but Mark just moved right on to the next event.

Hopefully you also saw our "local" local officials, such as Denise Barb, who's running for her third term as Clerk of Court. She only has one opponent- apparently being clerk in Shenandoah County isn't as cool as it is in Rockingham!

Phil Chroniger said...

I remember that parade well, especially when the rain hit and the temperature dropped nearly 20 degrees in 10 minutes. I honestly thought there were more parades in the area.

Yes I did see Denise Barb, which is another candidate I support. The only candidates I saw were the ones I plan to vote for. I think it's a sign.