Monday, July 2, 2007

More Thoughts on the "Civil Remedial Fees"

I've blogged about these recently-enacted penalties previously, and I do hold the same opinion that I held previously. While I feel that the fees are tremendously high (especially for first-time offenders), I do believe that these fees are a good alternative to simple tax-raising to fund transportation projects in Virginia.

An editorial in The Washington Times blasted these new fees. I agree that the fees are WAAAAY too high, but this paragraph here is where I have a problem with those protesting this bill.:

"But $1,050 for driving 20 mph over the speed limit is predatory, tax-and-spend government at its worst. For families in the middle or at the bottom of the economic ladder, this reaches 4 percent and 5 percent of annual take-home income. Government is supposed to serve the people, not fine and tax them toward the poor house for what amounts to ordinary behavior."

Yes, that is too much for a "first offense" under the new rules. However, breaking a law that is posted every couple of miles should not be considered "ordinary behavior". The speed limit on I-81 is 65 mph...I keep myself between 67-70 to keep up with the flow of traffic, but I never go over 72. I've gotten a couple of tickets in my lifetime (including a bogus "reckless driving-speeding" charge, but that's another story)...because of the repercussions from the tickets I've received, I've learned my lesson.

While Republicans are being blasted for the creation and passage of this bill (credit to Dave Albo and Tom Rust), look at the 15 that voted against the bill. Watkins Abbitt Jr., Kathy Byron, Ben Cline, Mark Cole, Jeff Frederick, Tom Gear, C. Todd Gilbert, Johnny Joannou, Joseph Johnson, Dwight Jones, Robert Marshall, Ken Melvin, Melanie Rapp, Jack Reid, Lionell Spruill.

60% of that is list is GOP Red. That's 9 Republicans, 5 Democrats, and 1 Independent that voted against this bill. 1 of those Dems is considered to be a DINO by most bloggers.

Let's do a little math: the Virginia House of Delegates is currently comprised of 57 Republicans, 40 Democrats, and 3 Independents. That means that nearly 16% of Republicans, 33% of Independents, and 12.5% of Democrats voted against this bill. The lowest percentage of dissent came from the Democrats on this one.

However, I do believe that there is plenty of "guilt by association" to go around for both parties, so for some bloggers to irresponsibly place this bill squarely on the shoulders of the GOP (see an example here) without taking into account who actually voted for the bill is somewhat erroneous, and fairly irresponsible, on their part.

I will give NLS credit for calling out many of the Dems who supported this bill...although, he pretty much labels them DINO's as well.

Until this law is revisited next year (as some in the HOD have hinted at), my advice to Virginia drivers is simple...DRIVE SLOWER AND BE CAREFUL!!! That should be the short-term solution for Virginia drivers until these fees are lowered to more acceptable levels.

No comments: