Monday, July 30, 2007

City of Virginia Beach Crosses the Line

(h/t Bearing Drift)

A new bar in Virginia Beach received it's ABC license...provided it follow certain restrictions, which include...

- No Rap/Hip-hop music
- Must close at midnight
- Nobody under 21 after 9 pm (that I can understand, that's a pretty standard practice in a lot of localities)
- Strict dress code with no do-rags/sneakers/athletic wear/etc...(i.e. no hip-hop gear).

First of all, it is not the city's job to enforce dress codes within bars...it is the bar's job to do so. Secondly, "last call" is usually 2 am, so I don't get the midnight closing hour. Thirdly, the city cannot determine what kind of music is played within the bar/club, the bar can do that.

Given my love of hip-hop (I know, a conservative who loves hip-hop...I'm a renaissance man), I'm personally appalled by this. I understand that the new bar was not going to be a spot for the hip-hop crowd, anyway...but that is for the establishment itself to decide...not the city.

No comments: