Thursday, August 2, 2007

What Social Security Really Is...

A few days ago, on hburgnews, there was a post where questions can be submitted to the many candidates for Rockingham Clerk of Court. Myron Rhodes, aka Republitarian, is one of the candidates.

One question was directed towards Myron from a "Mrs. Roadcap", who is a widow. The question went as follows...

"A few months ago Mr. Rhodes was very vocal on WSVA’s candid comment about his opinion that people who received social security benefits were “moochers”.

I would like Mr. Rhodes to explain why he feels that way.

I have retirement savings and a meager pension and Lord knows that I wouldn’t make ends meet without my social security benefits. And I know that I am not alone.
"

Now, I would have answered on the blog comments section, but it was not the proper forum to do so...the forum was "questions for the candidates". The person taking the comments also alluded to the fact that Clerk of Court has nothing to do with Social Security, but that it would make an interesting discussion for another thread.

Now, I don't know how Myron feels, but this is my response...

Social Security was, and always has been, a supplement to any pensions and savings you receive in retirement. To be honest, Mrs. Roadcap, you're an example of the purpose of Social Security. It is a supplement to your pension and retirement savings.

There are those, however, that feel that their entire retirement should be their Social Security pay, and that they are "owed" this by the government. That would not be the case, and it is not what the whole program was originally intended to be.

No comments: