Wednesday, November 7, 2007

On A Local Note...

Breaking down the races of note in Shenandoah and Rockingham Counties.

Shenandoah Board of Supervisors, District 2 (Mount Jackson/Conicville) Supervisor Jim Patrick was unseated by challenger Steven Baker in yesterday's election. The margin was a razor-thin 16 votes. I have to say that I was sufficiently surprised that Patrick lost, as he was a pretty good supervisor and always favored reason and research over "knee-jerk reaction" politics.

I can only assume this vote was a reaction to the proposal of a new jail in Shenandoah County, which Patrick supported (and provided really good, well-researched reasons for it). I don't quite see any other reasons as to why Patrick lost. Hopefully, Steven Baker can do just as good a job.

Shenandoah Board of Supervisors, District 3 (Edinburg/Columbia Furnance/St. Luke) was not quite as surprising, as David Ferguson defeated Miriam Reno by a near 54%-46% vote. It was expected to be a fairly close race, but Ferguson won by a margin that most people expected.

Shenandoah Clerk of Court Denise Barb, and 25 year incumbent, held off a relatively fierce challenge from Tammy Heishman. Barb won with about 57% of the vote. I'm not surprised it was this close, and I thought it might've been 1 or 2 points closer, actually.

Rockingham Clerk of Court was a race between 11 candidates that really came down to two candidates. Chaz Evans-Haywood and Dianne Fulk. Haywood won with almost 26% of the vote compared to Fulk's 22%. Barry Koogler, Brenda Huffman, and Mike Harvey all garnered over 10% of the vote, as well. The Republitarian himself, Myron Rhodes, managed to net 2.5% of the vote...but definitely spent less on campaigning than the rest of the candidates.

Benny "The Playgirl Politician" Neal, penis and all, finished dead last.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words. Apparently my work at fact-finding before voting has left an impression with someone.

To some extent, I expect you are right about the jail. That's not my position, but that (or something similar) is what many people believe.

Maybe it would do some good to give an outline —a brief bulleted outline— on my site so that folks will have a clue about what they're being rushed into.

Phil Chroniger said...

I guess your work at fact-finding led me to believe you were for the jail.