Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Few Steps Closer...

I was reading a Washington Post article about how Fred Thompson would shake up the GOP nomination race (no, really???), and I believe it to be true. In fact, the crowd will thin out quickly behind him once he gets going. Gilmore, Tommy Thompson, Tancredo, Sam Brownback..these guys won't last too much longer, which will help narrow things down come the fall campaign season and the winter primaries.

Thompson has already told "Law and Order" producers that he will not return to the show this fall. Although he didn't give political reasons, I think it's pretty obvious why.

I also like what was said in a column posted today at The Conservative Voice by Robert D. Novak. Especially the quote below, which really sits true with many of my beliefs.

"...he deplores ethical abuses, profligate spending and incompetent management of the Iraq war. He becomes incandescent when considering abysmal CIA and Justice Department performance under the Bush administration."

As for the conservatives that question Thompson's support for McCain-Feingold...

"His one deviation from the conservative line has been support for the McCain-Feingold campaign reform, much of which he now considers overtaken by current fundraising practices and perhaps irrelevant."

I think that pretty much answers that. Otherwise, he's a populist-leaning moderate conservative, not too unlike myself.

Some people ask me "why Thompson, why are you so behind this guy". Simply put, between his political stances, the way he carries himself, and the way he communicates...it makes me believe in the man. I've supported many candidates, I've liked many candidates, but few politicians make me believe in them.

For a candidate to not only have strong position stances, but to make you truly believe that he is the right man for the job...that's a rare find.

No comments: