Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Tuesday Night Music Club - 12/16/09

We here at the Podium are big music fans (funny how I refer to the Podium as a group, but it's just me). While hip-hop, heavy metal, classic rock, blue-eyed soul, and new jack swing are just a sample of what is on our playlist, the Podium has grown to really like Celtic Woman.

Celtic Woman is a quartet of beautiful Irish women with AMAZING voices that harmonize so well together. They've moved from traditional Celtic music to doing interpretations and interpolations of more recent and recognizable tunes, but they still mix in more traditional Celtic music as well. Luckily for us, they will be performing at John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville on February 19th. I may be there if Christmas, New Years, and my birthday (which all fall in a 4 week span) doesn't drain the fun funds before then.

You can tell that these women take their music seriously, and put a lot of effort into what they do. Their pure talent and vocal arrangements are as good as it gets, in my honest opinion.

Here is Celtic Woman performing "O America", a beautiful song that was written specifically for the group. Despite being Irish, they have a strong affinity for America (they broke into the big time here first, as I've been told).

Here is quite possibly the most incredible performance of "Amazing Grace" I have ever seen and heard in my life. Also, here is their performance of "Níl Sé'n Lá", and a performance of Sting's beautiful "Fields of Gold" (which is a hard song for anyone to cover and get kudos from me). Enjoy.

The "Amazing Grace", "Níl Sé'n Lá", and "Fields of Gold" performances are from the "Songs From the Heart" CD and DVD that will be out in January, and the concert DVD is currently showing often on PBS (WVPT for us Valley folk).

NOTE: I do realize that this was posted early Wednesday morning, but it was Tuesday night when I started this post and found the YouTube clips.

No comments: