Tuesday, August 7, 2007

An Interesting Parallel of Propaganda

Courtesy of Ion Mihai Pacepa at OpinionJournal.com.

Pacepa is a former intelligence agent from Romania who used to work with the KGB in West Germany as part of the Soviet bloc's spy games against the West (and yes, we played those spy games, too). Pacepa is actually the highest ranking intelligence officer to ever defect from a Warsaw Pact nation.

Pacepa believes that the liberal left's propaganda machine is very similar in tact to the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc's anti-American propaganda tactics.

The ending of the column says it all...

"On July 28, I celebrated 29 years since President Carter signed off on my request for political asylum, and I am still tremendously proud that the leader of the Free World granted me my freedom. During these years I have lived here under five presidents--some better than others--but I have always felt that I was living in paradise. My American citizenship has given me a feeling of pride, hope and security that is surpassed only by the joy of simply being alive. There are millions of other immigrants who are equally proud that they restarted their lives from scratch in order to be in this magnanimous country. I appeal to them to help keep our beloved America united and honorable. We may not be able to change the habits of our current political representatives, but we may be able to introduce healthy new blood into the U.S. Congress.

For once, the communists got it right. It is America's leader that counts. Let's return to the traditions of presidents who accepted nothing short of unconditional surrender from our deadly enemies. Let's vote next year for people who believe in America's future, not for the ones who live in the Cold War past."

Very, very true.

(h/t to one of The Podium's sources of interesting news and opinion, Paul Cave)

No comments: