Monday, December 3, 2007

The Passion of Paulites

Well, many people disagree with my observation that Ron Paul supporters may have "fixed" the straw poll. Apparently, many Paul supporters state that they actually came on their own volition, and paid their own way...no mass bussing in of supporters.

Although, reports of Paul supporters being bussed in at the Ames, Iowa straw poll were a hot topic for a couple of days on the blogs. Hence the reason I was led to believe this was true.

Nonetheless, I've stated this a lot in the past. I have no problem with Ron Paul, hell I agree with him on many issues. In fact, I've stated previously that he may be the Barry Goldwater of this political generation...he may simply be ahead of his time. I also have my disagreements with him (I'm not quite that libertarian in my viewpoints, I'm more of a libertarian-leaning conservative).

I also get a lot of enjoyment and I feel a sense of hope when observing Ron Paul's supporters get behind their candidate so passionately. I'm hoping that they'll remain this passionate behind whoever the GOP candidate (Paul or otherwise), because it will do a lot for keeping things positive in the Republican Party.

However, when you hear of past incidents, and other people report on these incidents, you have a tendency to make a simple "2 + 2" equation out of it all and come to your conclusion.

So if the straw poll results are legit (which I still have some doubts, as I'm reading conflicting reports from various sources), then it was a great day for Ron Paul, and still a very good day for my candidate Fred Thompson.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to be skeptical of any claims of Paul supporters being bussed in. The Paul campaign is the first truly grass roots campaign I've ever seen, except for a friend of mine who ran for mayor of Virginia Beach. We Paul supporters are indeed passionate about voting for RP.

And, you are correct about the Goldwater analogy. In fact, RP has been endorsed by B. Goldwater Jr.

I, for one, will not be supporting, or voting for, any other GOP candidate. I've strongly considered Huckabee, b/c he supports the Fair Tax. He's better than the Hamiltonians, Rudy McRomney, but at the end of the day, he's just another theocrat. No sir, I'll be voting for Dr. Paul, even if I have to write him in.

Cargosquid said...

And the lack of support for the candidate that wins, is why the RP supporters are looked upon as ringers for the Dems. If the RP supporters write him in, he will be a de facto 3rd party candidate. If you call yourself a Republican, then support the Republican Candidate. Or face a Democrat in office. Its that simple.